Forget about keywords and focus on brand usage.
Stop stop, wait a minute!
Don’t “keywords” underlie search engine optimization? Are they not the main element of this puzzle?
In fact, not so. The role of keywords has changed over the last time. Just a few years ago, you could have achieved staggering success by filling out a domain whose name includes several keywords, for example, www.californiahomes.com, or loaded with keywords “to the eyeballs”.
In the old days, it was enough for a company to purchase a domain name with several keywords, without spending a huge amount of time and energy on website promotion in search engines. However, Google decided to make fundamental changes that would eliminate deception of bona fide users, as well as create a reliable system for ranking sites. Already today, companies are forced to spend huge amounts of money to be at the top of the search results list.
What does this mean for you and the company?
When it comes to choosing the right domain name, you need to pay special attention to using the brand. In other words, the domain name of your site will be used as a powerful tool in the brand structure. The way the brand will appear on the Net will shape the overall attitude and perception of your customers and users and will directly affect the effectiveness of all your efforts in the field of search engine optimization.
Even though the process of choosing a domain name may seem too simple to you, it directly affects the effectiveness of your work in the field of SEO, as well as the overall success of your online business. In this article we have collected the main factors that should be paid attention to before the final registration of the domain.
The presence of such top-level domains, such as .TECH, .STORE, .SITE, .WEBSITE, .ONLINE, .SPACE, .FUN and .PRESS , allows you to use keywords directly in the domain name of your site, as well as realize the full potential of your brand or trademark.
- Use keywords.Please note that the use of keywords in the domain name of your site can positively affect the effectiveness of search engine optimization. However, do not use several keywords at once (www.californiastudenthomes.com) , otherwise the site may be categorized as suspicious. For example, use the name of the company, as well as add a domain that will indicate the scope of activity, for example, www.emirates.store. The method is successful in the formation of an attractive domain name that will not be negatively perceived by search engines.
- Think about using a brand.Google’s president, Eric Schmidt, believes that “a brand is a tool for solving a problem, not a problem. It is brands that help solve the most complex problems . ” In other words, using the name of a company or trademark in a domain name, you make a wise decision. Using the brand will help to stand out from the competition, which merge into an inconspicuous gray mass, invisible to users.
- Ensure ease of use.If you think that the complexity of the domain name is of no importance only because users have long abandoned word of mouth, you should reconsider the point of view. The ease of use of a domain name is based on the rule that people will remember the simple address of the site much faster and more readily. Check the selected domain name and make sure that the pronunciation does not cause difficulties for the audience.
Let at first glance, these recommendations seem simple, the main thing – work.
- The domain name should be short.A good domain name does not contain more than 18 characters. When it comes to the site, the shorter the address, the better. Using a short domain name ensures that users remember the site address and return again and again. You can use it in advertising and marketing materials. Agree that users will remember the address www.kindle.store faster than something similar to https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=as_li_ss_tl?node=133141011&linkCode=sl2&tag=amznip-kindle.store -20 & linkId = 4cd0d831c10ebb77bbf4aeeb9b352a3a
- Use an intuitive approach when choosing a domain name.A good domain should speak for itself, and also give users an idea of what you are doing. In other words, the domain name of your site should be intuitive.Today there are a large number of top-level domains that can help you out in this difficult situation: .TECH, .STORE, .PRESS, .ONLINE and .SITE. Compare www.emirates.com and www.emirates.store. Notice how easy and simple the domain extension indicates which site is the official portal of the company, and which leads to the souvenir shop.
- Avoid numbers and punctuation.We recommend not to use numbers and dashes in the domain name. The use of such symbols complicates the process of transition to the site, and the error will lead to the fact that the client will be on another portal. In addition, such an address is difficult to pronounce and transmit by phone. For example, imagine that you need to tell your friend the following address: www.john-blog4tech.com. What happens if a friend writes four instead of 4? And now try to transmit the address www.johnblog.tech.Feel the difference?
Choosing a domain name for search engine optimization – brief conclusions.
Although the choice of a domain name seems simple, some aspects need to be paid attention to. Use these rules to get a great domain name:
- Specify the name of the brand or company in the domain name.
- Avoid using multiple keywords separated by a hyphen.
- Use new top-level domains to indicate your business.
- Make sure that users can easily pronounce and type your chosen address.
- Domain name must be short
(no more than 15 characters).
- Avoid numbers and hyphens in the domain name.